Why Are Ethiopian Mail Order Brides so Popular Nowadays?
The number of Ethiopian mail order brides is not big yet, but they are quickly gaining popularity among Western men who want to marry a beautiful and loyal woman and stay with her forever. Here are just some of the things that make Ethiopian women for marriage so attractive.
They are naturally stunning
On one hand, Ethiopian brides look like your typical beautiful African women. On the other hand, so many ethnicities and cultures are mixed in the population of Ethiopia that the women there look very diverse. From light skin to a chocolate skin tone, from sleek long hair to a wild curly mane, from a fit and skinny figure to the mesmerizing curves — Ethiopian mail order brides have more striking features than you can imagine. And what’s even more important is that every Ethiopian beauty you see is all-natural as these women are not fans of changing their appearance too much.
They are adorably old-fashioned
Young women in Ethiopia, especially the ones living in major cities, quickly catch up with the world culture and politics. However, the one thing they don’t want to give up is their ideas about family and relationships. They believe a woman is born to become a mother and a wife, not waste her time working 40+ hours a week. If you are looking for a woman who will not argue with the traditional gender roles and will instead fully welcome them, an Ethiopian mail order bride is your best bet.
They want to be with just one man
An Ethiopian bride is not someone who will try to date as many guys as possible before getting married due to the fear of missing out on romance. It’s not uncommon for an Ethiopian girl in her early twenties to have little to no dating experience, which only makes her more attractive to a man who can appreciate her purity and honesty. Needless to say, an Ethiopian bride will never even consider being unfaithful to her boyfriend or husband and violating his trust.
What Are Ethiopian Wives Like?
With some of the advantages of Ethiopian wives, you can only see them after being married to one of them for a long time, but some of them are instantly visible. Here are the best things about being married to an Ethiopian wife.
They are ready to assume the traditional role of a wife
With an Ethiopian wife, you will never have a difficult and emotional discussion about the roles in the family. Ethiopian women are brought up with very traditional views on family and they are not ready to change them despite any society pressure. When you are married to a woman from Ethiopia, you can know for sure that you can go out there and build an impressive career while your wife is waiting for you at home with all the support and encouragement she is capable of.
They take pride in their homemaking skills
The home of an Ethiopian wife is always flawlessly clean, tastefully decorated, and smells of fresh linens and homemade food. Ethiopian wives consider housework to be their main job in marriage and they don’t mind spending hours trying to make the home more comfortable for her family members. You will never need to ask your Ethiopian wife to cook dinner or iron your shirt — those things will be done before you can even think of them.
They value family above everything else
If you meet an Ethiopian woman in her natural habitat, you will probably discover that she is the most energetic, sociable, and welcoming person you have ever met. This is why likely won’t be surprised to learn that an Ethiopian woman has lots of friends, loves various activities, and generally lives life to the fullest. However, it doesn’t mean that any of those things will ever be important to her as her husband and children, who will always be on her mind.
Why Are Ethiopian Brides Looking for a Foreign Husband?
Ethiopia is one of the biggest and most populated countries in Africa, but things in the country are not as good as Ethiopian brides would have wanted. Poverty, bad living conditions, low quality of healthcare, lack of education and career opportunities make many of them consider living abroad. Plus, Ethiopian men are not exactly known for their exemplary treatment of women, which is one more thing Ethiopian brides are trying to escape. Finally, Ethiopian women simply find Western men to check more boxes on their list of desired features than local men, and that is exactly what makes them choose foreigners for marriage.
The Guide on Marrying an Ethiopian Woman
Tips on dating an Ethiopian girl
Ethiopian brides are respectful, unspoiled, and generally feel like the kind of person you want to see by your side forever. However, it all starts with the dating period, and here is what you can do to make it count.
- Don’t stress out over being with her. Being worried about the progress of your relationship with a beautiful Ethiopian woman is understandable, but it can affect your performance and you won’t be able to show her your true self.
- Remember your chivalrous behavior. When getting ready to date an Ethiopian girl, you should brush up on your gentlemanly skills that you may have forgotten while dating the independent and emancipated Western women.
- Don’t mention your past relationships. Ethiopian girls are not overly jealous, but they definitely don’t want to hear about your exes, whether you talk about them in a good or bad light. However, you can and should talk about your children if you have any.
- Introduce her to your social circle. Getting invited to your home country to meet your family or friends means only one thing to an Ethiopian bride: you are serious about her and want everyone to meet the woman you plan to marry.
- Show you are ready to commit. There is no need to get engaged right after meeting each other or discuss marriage plans right away, but your Ethiopian bride should know that you are only seeing her and want the relationship to work out.
Meeting Ethiopian bride parents: 3 tips
A typical Ethiopian girl respects her parents too much to take just some random boyfriend to her family home. If you get the invitation, you can know for sure that she has serious plans involving you. Here is how you can charm your future Ethiopian in-laws.
- Bring your best mood with you. You are understandably worried before meeting your bride’s parents for the first time, but you need to remember that they are as anxious to meet you and will never intentionally make things harder for you.
- Take part in family activities. When you visit the family of your Ethiopian mail order bride, there is no way you will just sit at the table being silent. Take part in the discussions, talk about your family, and suggest some fun ways to spend the time together.
- Try to meet as many people as possible. The family of your Ethiopian bride will probably try not to overwhelm you by inviting too many guests over, but you can show that you are not afraid of challenges and volunteer to meet other family members yourself.
Ethiopian wedding customs and laws
You may have a lot of experience with local weddings, but nothing can prepare you for a traditional Ethiopian wedding ceremony. There are dozens of customs to remember, and here are the 5 most important ones.
- The Telosh ceremony. Two days before the main event, the groom and his parents visit the bride and her parents; the closest family members can also attend. The groom and his parents give gifts to the bride’s family, and other guests follow suit.
- The groom’s arrival. On the morning of the wedding day, the groom will arrive at the bride’s house, often with his friends. He will be greeted by the bridesmaids who will jokingly refuse to give the bride away, so he will need to do his best to convince them.
- Kissing the feet. The first thing the couple does after entering the wedding venue is going up to their grandparents, who are seated in the centre, and taking a bow to their feet, thanking them and receiving wise pieces of advice in return.
- The official engagement. Surprisingly enough, the engagement in Ethiopia does not take place until the actual wedding day. The culmination of the ceremony is the bride and the groom exchanging the rings and cutting the cake.
- The wedding after-party. After a long and tiring day of a wedding celebration, the bride and groom’s closest family members go to the groom’s house, where his parents prepare a meal for everyone to sit and relax in a family circle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will there be a language barrier between me and my Ethiopian bride?
Not at all! English does not have an official status in Ethiopia, but it is widely taught in schools and used in government and business. Even if your Ethiopian mail order bride is not connected to any of those entities, she likely knows just enough English for everyday communication and there won’t be a serious language problem.
Is it common for Ethiopian brides to work?
Many Ethiopian women choose to work prior to the marriage because their families need their support, but nothing will make them happier than being able to stay at home, work around the house, and take care of the little ones without needing to go to work everyday. So if you can afford for your wife to stay home, this decision can do wonders for your family.
Do Ethiopian women want a lot of kids?
Many Ethiopian girls grow up in huge families and have a very tight bond with their siblings. However, they also learn that a large household is not always easy to support and the more children you have, the fewer resources each of them will get. Most Ethiopian brides have a very sensible approach to building a family and want just two or three children.
Kris Gimbel is a certified psychologist and expert in relationships. He advises top international marriage agencies and helps them develop more advanced interaction strategies between men and women who are interested in meeting and relationships.